Holiday in Southern Brittany on the Morbihan Coast
Morbihan top holiday destinations
The best way to appreciate the beauty of the 20km wide Gulf of Morbihan and its river channels, is by boat. As you pass the Presqu'Île de Quiberon, you enter this "little sea" of nearly 40 islands, the two largest ones being Île aux Moines and Île d'Arz. The erosion of the land has grafted several inlets which sailers will enjoy cruising along and up the two main rivers of the very picturesque and charming town of Vannes and the historical town of Auray.
It is also in this part of Brittany that departs some of the world's famous sailing races, typically from La Trinité-sur-mer.
Out in the Atlantic ocean, Morbihan boasts two more islands, Île de Groix departing from Lorient and the archipelo of Belle-Île, south of Quiberon.
Where to stay
Recommended hotels in Morbihan with secure online booking
Fantastic seaside resort locations with mobile home, chalets or bring your own tent
- Gites & Cottages
Extensive list of private rentals
- Holiday Villages & Self-Catering Apartments
All located close to beach resorts, some with swimming pool
How to Keep Active and Relax
- Sailing Club in Carnac, Port du Crouesty
- Golf Clubs in Le Lac au Duc, Baden, Val Queven, Saint Laurent, Ploemeur-Océ, La Bretesche
- Indulge and relax at one of the Spa Centres in Carnac, Port du Crouesty, Quiberon and Belle-Île
How to keep the kids happy
You need a change from the beach and you have done plenty of sightseeing. To keep your children happy, why not try a few our recommended places:
- Aquarium - Aquarium du Golfe in Vannes
- Animal Park - Parc de Branféré in Le Guerno
- Others - Oceanology Discovery Vessel ("La Thalassa") in Lorient, Jurassic Park (Parc de Préhistoire de Bretagne) in Malansac
- Forest Adventure Park - Camors Adventure Forest in Camors, Parc d'Adventure Forêt Adrénaline in Carnac
How to get there
- By plane - Fly direct to the nearest international airport of Brest.
- By ferry with direct arrivals to St Malo and Roscoff. Alternative ferry terminals to consider include Cherbourg.
- By train - The nearest highspeed train station (TGV) is Rennes where you change to the local train network to reach your final destination.
- By car - drive your own or hire a car - Check our driving guide before you set off.
Don't miss ...
- Solitaire du Figaro, Sailing Race in Lorient in August
- Festival Interceltique, the largest Celtic festival in Brittany running for several days in Lorient, attracting at least 10,000 visitors every mid-August
- Pardon de Saint-Anne, religious procession in Saint-Anne d'Auray, every July
- Pardon de la Madone des Motards, religious procession in Porcaro every last week-end of August
Search a Hotel in Brittany
Brittany Top Holiday Destinations
Brittany Top Holiday Attractions